21 August 2007

"this is Karri from ... Philly"

I was on a conference call last week and realized if I had to introduce myself I would say "This is Karri DeSelm from... Philadelphia...." The surroundings are becoming much more familiar and yes, I've actually started driving (in the suburbs - but still an achievement for me!) but the idea that we are living in "philly" still doesn't quite seem real. I guess its the same odd feeling I got being in another country. I thought being somewhere "across the ocean" was supposed to feel dramatically different but somehow you just feel that you ARE where you ARE and distance is relative to how much you are missing what you have left. I am missing Fort Wayne - family, friends, conversations (thankfully Jim and I enjoy talking to each other.... a lot), familiarity driving, Old Crown... but the adventure is still fun here.

PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION: We have decided that in the beginning God created public transportation, and Adam's curse is what brought on suburban sprawl and the crazy desire to drive everwhere. Driving downtown is a nightmare (for Jim - I don't dare try yet) and the cost of parking is unthinkable in Fort Wayne terms, but we enjoy being in "center city." So Saturday we decided to try the trolley (no gas or pollution there!) which run frequently and close to our apartment. Our $1.30 a piece (one way) ride was less than 20 minutes, which is less time than it takes to drive through West Philly and into the city. To our suprise, half way into the ride the trolley rolls into a tunnel underground and then becomes part of the downtown subway system. So we spent the evening walking around, watching skateboarders and bikers doing tricks in Love Park until the bicycle police, who could have learned a few tips, broke up the fun. Then we took the trolley home, hopped off, and walked the two blocks apartment, using no gas in our whole trip!

OTHER GREAT MOMENTS: JIm's first Philly cheese steak, bought from the corner of our block.

CHURCH: We decided to choose one of the 5 different church communities that use the same building on the corner of our block this past Sunday. We were warmly greeted by almost every one of the 30 or so attendees that morning. It is young and diverse and we enjoyed the pastor. Afterwards there was "fellowship and food" in the back while the next church began their service in the sanctuary. We felt so welcome and everyone was happily surprised that we actually lived right there in the neighborhood, as only a few of them did. We are planning on going to their Wednesday night bible study, which meets in someone's home, and dinner is provided (yes!) to check it out more. We love the idea of attending a church that is there in our neighborhood and they seem to have a vision for investing in the local community.

I have two days of orientation at school next Monday and Tuesday and then class begins Wednesday! I've already started reading the one textbook I've purchased. (Yes, we are a little bored. We resorted to TV last night, a rare event for us.) For all those interested in the area that I am interested in, and of a political mind as well, I'm greatly enjoying and being challenged by Noam Chomsky's "Profit over People," a short but intense read about "neoliberalism and the global order."

Loving the adventure, trusting God, and missing the Fort,
Karri

No comments: